Sandwell UNISON is to call upon Sandwell Council to declare a climate emergency and aim to become carbon neutral by 2030.
Climate change will have an impact on Sandwell residents and UNISON believes it is important for all our futures that all institutions of government change their policies to limit global warming.
Practically Sandwell UNISON calls upon the Council to:
1. To declare a climate emergency.
2. To aspire for Sandwell to be net zero carbon by 2030 or as soon after as a just transition permits – making sure we take communities with us,
protecting employment and without impoverishing deprived communities.
3. To work with the WMCA and seek from the UK Government the powers and resources to help Sandwell deliver the 2030 net zero carbon ambition for a just transition.
4. To offer free parking and charge points throughout the Borough for zero emissions vehicles.
5. To invest in energy saving measures in all council properties, both council housing and council workplaces. This to include insulation and installation of solar panels where appropriate.
6. To invest in a new fleet of zero emission vehicles for the Council, which would also save on fuel costs.
7. Support days of action such as the Global Climate Action Day and encourage participation in legal events.